Fried Potatoes (Patatas a lo pobre) Recipe
Cook Time: 25 minutes|
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 10-15 black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp extra spicy paprika (pimentón picante)
- 1/4 tsp smoked bittersweet paprika (pimentón agridulce)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Moscatel wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 kg firm potatoes (not floury)
- 1 tsp salt
- handful flat parsley leaves, chopped
- Pound to a paste in a mortar and pestle the garlic and spices; add the vinegar a bit at a time, continuing to pound; mix the water and leave to stand.
- Peel and slice the potatoes - about 5 mm thick.
- Heat the oil In a very large frying pan and add the potatoes; sprinkle the potatoes with salt and turn, coating well with oil.
- Cook over a medium heat turning often until the potatoes are tender and start to brown.
- Add the spice and vinegar mixture and turn the potatoes to coat.
- Continue to cook for another few minutes, by which time the liquid will be absorbed.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.