Vegetarian Bulgur Burger Recipe
Preparation Time: 45 minutes|
Servings: 4 burgers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 buns
- Cook half of onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bulgur and water and cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in beans and soy sauce.
- Pulse bulgur mixture, walnuts, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, a rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining onion in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Form rounded 1/2 cups of mixture into 4 patties. Chill at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the mayo: stir together mayonnaise, zest, and juice.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas). Put perforated grill sheet on grill and preheat 10 minutes.
- Brush patties with oil.
- Grill on both sides, until golden brown, ~8 minutes.
- Serve hot with mayo and toppings.